- Spring 2013 Global Education Initiative Internship
This Millennium Promise internship supports the work of a new global education initiative, Connect To Learn, formed in partnership between Millennium Promise, The Earth Institute at Columbia University, and Ericsson. S/he will work closely with the initiative’s Director, as well as colleagues across the organization to fulfill his/her role. This is an ideal opportunity for an graduate or undergraduate student with some strong combination of the following interests and attributes looking for hands-on experience in an exciting global program focused on helping the world's girls successfully make the transition from primary school to secondary school, and helping every school those girls attend and other schools globally, to fully capitalize on mobile broadband connectivity to gain access to the best material, tools, and learning methods available through the Web.
Several internships will be available this Spring and again in the Summer. Please let us know which position(s) you are interested in.
• Writing and editing project proposals, LOIs and introductory letters in the process of applying for funding
• Conducting prospecting research to foster potential strategic partnerships and identify new funding opportunities
• Assist with creating and managing budgets for CTL programs
• Conduct background research to support proposal writing
• Work on special projects as needed
Communications and Marketing Internship
• Provide support maintaining and updating social media channels, including CTL’s website, Facebook, and Twitter as part of an ongoing global campaign
• Create, edit, and/or proofread a broad range of materials about Connect To Learn for general, donor, and media audiences
• Respond to phone calls, online inquiries, and other requests to engage media and individuals in the mission of Connect To Learn
• Work on special projects as needed
• Help organize and maintain departmental files (hardcopy and electronic), documents, and procedures
• Research & administrative support
Curriculum and Educational Resources Internship:
Intern will be contributing to work underway on a curriculum-related resources project focused around CTL’s Online Resource Library and School-To-School Connections program and developing of additional educational materials. School-To-School Connections (S2SC) links schools in the USA with schools in Africa. A pilot Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) curriculum could be central including lesson plans, student activities, and a teachers’ manual, and the building an ICT enabled platform, enhancing teacher collaboration and use of curriculum, and reviewing/matching curriculum to national standards of African countries. Additional responsibilities will include updating Connect To Learn’s Online Resource Library with educational materials including trainings in the use of ICT and adaptions for the classroom, teacher professional development, and resources for girls clubs/mentorship programs. Depending on experience, this internship could include work on the development of a life skills program for secondary school age girls in the developing world.
• Interest in international development, secondary education, the use of ICT in Education, gender parity and issues surrounding the development and empowerment of girls and women, or related fields
• Enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program, with a demonstrated interest in international development or education focus preferred
• Strategic planning and program development experience a major plus
• Experience in journalism, writing, public relations, press outreach and communicating about an international health/grassroots issue
• Social media/social networking experience a big plus
• Excellent attention to detail
• Outstanding and proactive organizational skills
• Excellent writing and editing skills
• Graphic design, film/video and/or media presentation skills desirable
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team and to deal with a fast-paced and changing work environment
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple time-sensitive tasks simultaneously in a fast paced environment
• Interest & understanding of the needs and challenges of a start-up operation
• Ability to respond to communication demands across multiple international time zones
How to Apply
To apply, please submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• Cover letter
Follow-up materials will be requested from qualifying candidates:
• Two (2) references
• Two (2) writing samples (300 words max. each, excerpts from longer pieces acceptable)
- Donor Communications Manager
Writing, editing, and project managing content for communications including but not limited to the following:
• Donor reports
• Website copy
• Video scripts
• Social media updates
• Annual appeals
• Press kits
Responsible for graphic design using Illustrator, Photoshop, and Word, including but not limited to the following:
• Report and proposal layouts
• Memes (photos with quotes) for social media
• Invitations and posters for events
• Create a coordinated content library system to centralize key materials for easy access
• Address website and donation platform issues
Consultant will report to Director of Development.
Commensurate with experience.
This position is freelance and location is flexible. Ability to commute to NYC office once in a while preffered.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com by May 31, 2013 with "Donor Communications Manager" in the subject line. Writing samples and references will be requested from qualifying candidates.